Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Shaking The Dust Off...

It's been a while since my last post, and boy, have things changed in that time. Most importantly for me, my wife and I welcomed our second child, a son, on July 8. Also, Warhammer 40k saw the advent of 6th Edition. And the closest gaming store to me, the Newport Hobby House, moved to a new location. All of these things tie together nicely; allow me to explain...


With the new child, my free time has all but evaporated. With two kids under 2, there's always something that needs to be done for them. I used to be able to steal an hour or two of hobby time at night when my daughter went to bed; with our infant son eating and "eliminating" at all hours, that luxury is gone. I'm extremely excited to play my first game of 6th Edition, but I just can't do it home.

That's where the game store comes in. The Hobby House had been located in downtown Newport, but at the end of July they moved to Middletown - just a few blocks from where I work. If I build up a couple hours of credit time during the week, I can cut out early one afternoon and get in a game at the store, while the kid(s) are still at daycare. (We pay for care on a monthly basis rather than per hour, so it doesn't cost me any extra.) The store's intended gaming area is currently being used as a staging area while they get settled in, but I hope to get an army on the table within the month.

So, before then I need to start working on a list for 6th Edition. What's the best way to move into 6th and get familiar with the rules? Small games to keep things moving? Big games to try the most stuff? Similar unit types to minimize goofy interactions? Lots of variety to find that goofy stuff? Or should I not worry about it and just run with a normal list for a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment